I gave Good Craic: A ride to DC for Guinness and boxty, many miles of new routing this year. It’s a few miles shorter, uses even more of the DC trail system, moves through downtown more efficiently and, I believe, is on safer roads. I gave the new route a test ride last week and was amazed at how different it felt than the Monument to Monument ride. So, I’m offering this one sooner in the year than I had first planned.
Good Craic was inspired by Barry Childress and his challenge to design multiple safe bike routes between Baltimore and DC. We leave west out of the city, skirting Columbia to the north and west. Near Olney we hook into the DC trail system on the Henson and Rock Creek trails. Beach ave is closed to auto traffic on weekends, so that and 14th st become our approach to downtown. As per tradition, lunch is at Fado, Irish pub. After a Guinness (or 2) we roll north up to College Park, using the Anacostia and Paint Branch trails. A brief overlap with the Monument2Monument route around Laurel, then into Charm city via Brooklyn.
- Date/Time- Sunday, September 9th. 7:50AM meetup. 8:10 pushoff
- Start- Carroll Park (southeast corner) SEE MAP
- Cue sheet- Good Craic Cue Sheet
- GPS files/Map- Good Craic Map (click ‘Export’ tab for gps files)
- 102.3 miles. 5500ft. of climbing (mostly in 1st the half)
- 2010 and 2011 ride reports Good Craic Reports