On Sunday May 4th we’ll be riding the historic Baltimore to Washington, DC Ramble, the Monument to Monument ride.
M2M is a 97 mile round-trip single day ride from Baltimore to Washington on lightly trafficked roads. We keep it slow and steady, enjoying the company of fellow riders and the excitement of arriving in another city by bike.
- Date/Time: Sunday, May 4th, 2014. Meet at 7:45AM. Leave PROMPTLY at 8:10AM
- Start Location: Baltimore Washington Monument
- Map/GPS: M2M2014map click Export in upper right corner
- Cue Sheets: M2Mcue print a copy for yourself. I will bring some to the start
- Cost: None. Bring $ for lunch and snacks at local businesses
- Assistance/Sag: None. (except help from fellow riders)
- Awards/Medals: None. (well, bragging rights)
- You ride this at your own risk
WHAT IS IMPORTANT
- Riding a dependable, familiar bike
- Flat resistant tires
- Using lights w/fully charged batteries
- Having ridden a 50+ mile ride in the last 6 mos.
- Riding at your own steady, even pace
- Concentrating on the road around you as you ride
- Helping out other riders in need
- Having your bike, clothing and supplies ready the night before
- Having a cue sheet and a cell phone
- Respecting drivers, pedestrians and road laws
- Assessing all intersections for yourself
- Pointing out hazards to other cyclists
- Keeping your break time (off the bike) as short as possible
- Having a way of getting home if a problem forces you to not finish
PLEASE Don’t worry about:
• The type of bike you ride • How you look • Riding fast • Finishing in a certain amount of time • Thinking you’ll get left behind • Blowing thru intersections to keep up • Pace lines
HOW TO BE READY
Ride your bike 50 miles. Then take the bike to your favorite bike shop and have them fix and adjust all the things that annoyed you during that ride. Check the weather the night before the ride and bring appropriate clothing. Be aware of the road around you as you ride. The main reasons why riders are unable to finish M2M are: crashes due to inattention, not having the fitness and experience for riding a century, and bike mechanical breakdowns.
WHAT’S THE RIDE LIKE?
M2M is a little of everything. There will be fast and slow riders, skinny and fat tire bikes, racers and bike party people. Last year there were over 75 riders. We ride a steady average pace of about 13MPH. There are some hills, but none more strenuous than a long ride through Baltimore. The roads to DC are as safe as riding in Baltimore. Most of the route is surprisingly scenic and the DC trail system is very relaxing. We’ll stop 3 times: a break at the 25 mile point, a lunch at Union Station in DC and a break at the 75 mile point. I will bring cue sheets, but mostly you will be following ride leaders.
GOT QUESTIONS? PLEASE ASK.
meanwhile, here’s an iconic picture of Bosun to inspire you: